Is Thrift Week, a holiday which began on Ben Franklin's birthday even on the calendar anymore? When did it disappear?
"Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship," said he. That leak is not so small anymore.
We disapproved of frippery, definition according to answers.com
- Pretentious, showy finery.
- Pretentious elegance; ostentation.
- Something trivial or nonessential.
Today in the USA:
- 106,000 aluminum cans every 30 seconds. (Enough aluminum to rebuild our entire commercial air fleet every three months—and aluminum represents less than 1 percent of our solid waste stream).
- 2 million plastic beverage bottles every 5 minutes
- 426,000 cell phones every day
- 14 % of the food we buy at the store
- 1.14 million brown paper supermarket bags each hour
- 60,000 plastic bags we use every 5 seconds
- US airline flights distributed 1 million plastic cups every 6 hours
- 15 million sheets of office paper every 5 minutes
- 170,000 Energizer batteries produced every 15 minutes
The average American uses more energy between the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve and dinner on January 2 than the average, Tanzanian consumes in a year.
Time to rethink hyper-consumerism and get back in touch with what really matters.